-
April 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Can anyone tell me if Altec 400X-16 speakers have Alnico magnets? They are 8", 16 OHM, 25 Watt. I have them listed up to eBay and folks are asking. I'm no speaker expert for sure. Dumb question? How do you tell Alnico from any other magnet material. Thanks!
-
April 14th, 2006, 05:34 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
AlNiCo motors are self shielding, so if you can wave a screwdriver or similar metallic object around it without any attraction, it's AlNiCo since the original Altec didn't make any shielded drivers AFAIK.
GM
-
April 14th, 2006, 11:37 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
If I were betting I'd put up a 50 that they are Alnico. We'd know for sure if someone would pull two screws and give us a pic without the can on the back.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-Lansing-40...QQcmdZViewItem
-
May 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM
#4
Inactive Member
-
May 6th, 2006, 01:42 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Forgot to add: There is no real magnetic attraction to that heavy steel frame that surrounds the manget on either of these speakers shown.
-
May 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Yup. Alnico alright.
Generally, the cans were to cover Alnico magnets. Some cheap manufacturers caught onto this and starded using the cans to cover cheap ceramic magnets. This made them look more expensive.
The old Rat Shack musical instument 12 and 15, made by Utah, had a can covering a 38 oz ceramic mag.
Actually they weren't bad for cheap speakers. But I fell that was misrepresentation.
The ceramic mags are ring or doughnut shaped. Alnicos are generally cylindrical, with the telltale horseshoe keeper.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks